Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

North Runcton get better of Diss

More news, no ads


After making a bright start to life back in the Cecil Amey Opticians Premier Division, Diss slumped to their third defeat in a row on Saturday.

Diss, Norfolk. 09 June 2018.Cricket action from Diss v North Runcton - Diss in Bat - Mark Williamson..Picture by Mark Bullimore Photography. (2524835)
Diss, Norfolk. 09 June 2018.Cricket action from Diss v North Runcton - Diss in Bat - Mark Williamson..Picture by Mark Bullimore Photography. (2524835)

After making 193-9 from their 50 overs, the hosts went down by two wickets at the hands of North Runcton.

To their credit, Diss made a positive start through openers Mark Williamson and Chris Cooper.

The pair put on 42 for the first wicket before Cooper was caught behind for 27 off Ben Skipper (1-25).

New man David Tooke fell after making a quick start to Jack Major (1-28) for 11, although Williamson continued to be a solid line of defence.

He was joined by Aidan Browne, who looked promising early on, before being caught off Josh Ring (1-20) for 11.

Disaster then struck for Diss as in-form Robert Tooke was stumped down the leg side for one, which left Diss struggling on 105-4.

Williamson’s resistance was then finally broken as he was trapped lbw to Ben Coote (1-35) for a well-made 39.

However, contributions from much of the lower order helped Diss to a respectable 193-9 off their 50 overs, with Mark Brawn (11), Alfie Brydon (17), Eli Meenhorst (11) and Daniel Taylor (19 not out) all assisting.

Diss began their defence in dramatic fashion, as David Tooke (1-14), opening for the injured Dan Taylor, picked up the wicket of Mark Skipper (zero) in his first over, thanks to an excellent catch from Lewis Taylor.

Additionally, Meenhorst had George Rawlings (one) caught behind, leaving the away side reeling on 2-2.

That brought a key third-wicket pair of overseas player Kirwin Christoffels and Coote to the crease, where Diss knew it would be crucial to break their partnership early.

After advancing the score swiftly, Cooper (2-50) had the key wicket of Coote (17) thanks to a one-handed catch from Rob Tooke.

The away side once again recovered, but Diss picked up two more important scalps before the drinks break, with Williamson (2-23) having Nick Freeman (20) and Harry Lankfer (two) both caught by Meenhorst.

North Runcton were 90-5 after 25 overs, with the match delicately poised.

After spurning chances on Christoffels (40), Diss had their man when he pulled Meenhorst (2-43) straight to Sam Hunt at mid wicket, and the match once again swung in Diss’ favour.

Michael Crisp and new man Ben Skipper helped the away side progress past the 100 mark, before Crisp was caught superbly behind again by Lewis Taylor for 18, off Hunt (1-38), with Diss needing just three wickets to win.

Nevertheless, then came what proved to be a match-winning partnership between Ben Skipper and Major (28 no), as they withstood Diss’ efforts and guided their team to within touching distance of victory.

Although Skipper was caught shortly before the finish for 41, his work was done as North Runcton sealed victory with just over two overs to spare.

Diss travel to Fakenham tomorrow (12pm).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More