Home   Sport   Article

Diss Town go fourth following victory at Felixstowe & Walton United Reserves

In-form Diss Town moved up to fourth in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division North table following Saturday’s 3-0 win at Felixstowe & Walton United.

It proved to be another positive afternoon for Ryan Swift after he scored twice for the second game running, but in contrast recent arrival Tom Matthews was red carded before half-time.

It took Jon Abbott’s visitors just five minutes to break the deadlock at a damp Dellwood Avenue.

Ryan Swift scored twice
Ryan Swift scored twice

Ryan Fuller picked out Swift, who moved into the penalty area and then buried his low right-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Felixstowe’s second string, who are third from bottom, responded positively to falling behind and twice went close to equalising.

First Rory Porter curled an effort against the post before Diss goalkeeper George MacRae used his legs to good effect to keep out Amin Muhammad.

And they proved to be crucial moments in the game because in the 25th minute Swift doubled his and Diss’ tally.

Having rounded home goalkeeper Reiley Calton, the attacker managed to squeeze his shot in from an acute angle via a retreating defender and the upright.

The third goal came 12 minutes later after midfielder Matt Cook exchanged passed with Angus Mackie before firing in from 15 yards out.

However, the half ended sourly for Diss when Matthews was handed his marching orders for his reaction to a foul on team-mate Fuller by Felixstowe's Charlie Hughes.

The second half was all about game management for the 10-man Tangerines, who proved themselves to be up to the task.

Porter did hit the post again for Felixstowe, but that was the only real attempt of note that the home side mustered.

Diss will go in search of a fifth league win in a row on Saturday when they host bottom-of-the-table Wisbech St Mary, which is followed on December 28 by a trip to second-placed Mulbarton Wanderers (both 3pm).

* Diss Town Reserves are fifth in the Thurlow Nunn Reserve League after they played out a 1-1 draw with their Framlingham Town counterparts.

Jake McDowall scored inside 15 seconds for Diss, who had Robert Peake red carded before the interval.

And Framlingham made their numerical advantage count in the second half to secure a share of the spoils.

Diss Reserves will finish the year on Saturday at Stowmarket Town Reserves (3pm).

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More