Tangerines left all at sea by resurgent Clacton

Clacton Town went an agonising 15 months without a win but on Saturday Diss became the second team in a week to come away from Rush Green Bowl without a point.

Tangerines boss Robert Fleck was in no doubt that it was his team's second half performance which had caused the defeat to last season's basement boys.

"I was disappointed and annoyed by the performance," said Fleck.

"We put so much good work into the first half but in the second-half we didn't turn up. Again we have shipped goals due to silly defensive errors."

Diss included Jake Berry in midfield, who has re-signed despite moving home to London in the summer.

He linked up well with Dale Vince and the duo combined to set up Tony Fields but his header went just wide of the target.

The Tangerines took the lead after 26 minutes when a cross from Kwame Jones was met by Benny Murray's head at the near post, for the former Newmarket Town striker to net his fourth goal of the season.

Minutes later Vince should have increased the lead when Fields played an inch perfect ball into the midfielder, who turned on a sixpence only to fire over from 12 yards.

With seven minutes of the first half remaining, Diss' defenders again showed how vulnerable they are to the counter-attack.

James Dunkley was afforded far too much time and space and placed his shot inside the far post.

The Tangerines had the chance to go in at half-time with an advantage but were denied by a fingertip save from keeper Rob Fleming from Fields.

Against the run of play Clacton took the lead after 55 minutes.

Dunkley's perfect cross to the far post was powerfully headed home by Sean Hillier.

Diss were given a fortunate lifeline when Vince broke through the Clacton defence and with only the keeper to beat, centre-back Simon Carmichael appeared to make a legitimate tackle, only for the referee to point to the penalty spot.

Up stepped Jones to coolly stroke the ball straight down the middle to level the scores after 78 minutes.

But Clacton were not to be denied their second win of the season.

A corner to the near post was only half-cleared to the edge of the area and Matt Waters was on hand to blast his shot past a helpless Hulyer with ten minutes remaining.

Diss Town: Hulyer, Joynson (Garnham 71), Cornish, Fields, Goreham, Jackson, Vince, Berry (Butler 78), Murray, Snowling (Baker 85), Jones.

Substitute unused: Fleck.

Man of the match: Jake Berry. Impressed on his return and his distribution made Diss' midfield more buoyant.