Victory double as Magpies repeat margin of success



Cambridge University 1

Harleston Magpies 3

Harleston had a successful weekend, winning two tough league games by identical scores, with Sunday’s match at Cambridge played in torrential rain.

The rearranged match saw Pete Bale coolly slip the the ball past the keeper to a grateful Toby Price on the back post, who slotted home.

Solid play from the back four kept Harleston going, and passes down the line made sure Cambridge University defenders stayed on their toes. Late in the first half, Cambridge University were awarded a dubious short corner which was dispatched by a quality drag flick.

The rain eased in the second half, and Magpies immediately went looking for the lead. A slick passing move between Simon Hipwell and Tristan Baynes allowed Toby Price to slot an airborne ball in at the back post to make it 2-1.

Shortly afterwards, another quality passing move between the forwards found Simon Hipwell one-on-one with the keeper. He left the keeper in his wake, before reverse stick hitting the ball into the backboard.

The final quarter saw Cambridge University press hard, and lose a player to a yellow card following a bad stick tackle. Harleston were down to ten when top midfielder Pete Bale was sent off for a similar offence. But a fantastic effort from the back four and excellent hold up play from Sam Moore kept Harleston ahead.

Harleston Magpies 3

Peterborough 2nd 1

Harleston welcomed back a fully-fit Andrew Hipwell. Harleston started strongly, but despite early pressure were unable to convert any of their chances.

Peterborough always looked dangerous on the counter attack, and from one of their forays Reece Leonard pushed the ball onto the post before unfortunately turning it into his own goal. This spurred Harleston on, and they continued to play patient hockey as Peterborough sat deeper and deeper.

Harleston finally got the breakthrough they were looking for when Andrew Bedwell’s hopeful crashed ball into the D deflected off a Peterborough foot and into the goal.

The second half followed a similar pattern, Harleston controlling the majority of possession with Peterborough looking to hit on the counter. Harleston went ahead eight minutes in after good build-up play from Tristan Baynes. Andy Hipwell’s shot was saved, but the rebound fell for Pete Bale to smash home.

The third goal came after Hipwell’s shot was kicked off the line and Tristan Baynes calmly converted the resultant penalty stroke.