Home   Sport   Article

Magpies’ indoor team seal promotion at first attempt

CHARGING OUT: Action from Harleston Magpies Men's indoor campaign as they try and defend a penalty corner
CHARGING OUT: Action from Harleston Magpies Men's indoor campaign as they try and defend a penalty corner

Harleston Magpies Men’s Indoor team earned an immediate promotion back to the Super Sixes Division One League thanks to four victories from their five matches in Bristol last weekend.

Without the services of Toby Price, Louis Totton, Simon Hipwell and Richard Larkin, the Magpies first faced a youthful Ashmoor side and ran out 6-1 winners.

Tristan Baynes and Chris Barber helped themselves to braces, while Ben Wright and Stuart Leate weighed in with further goals.

In their second encounter Harleston took on Fareham, with Wright and Barber again among the goals along with Thomas Ridley as Harleston raced into a 3-0 lead within the opening nine minutes.

Fareham hit back with three goals of their own, but Sam Rowe added a fourth for Harleston to seal a 4-3 triumph.

Bournville provided Harleston’s first opposition on Sunday and once again player-coach Wright was in prolific form.

He netted a hat-trick in a 5-4 win that also included two goals from Carl Sitch.

Next up was St Albans, who inflicted Harleston’s first defeat of the weekend.

The Magpies found themselves 4-0 behind at one point and despite goals from Barber, Rowe and another courtesy of Wright, they eventually slumped to a 7-3 defeat.

That result opened up the league table. although Harleston knew that a win or a draw from their final fixture against Cheltenham would secure them promotion at the first attempt.

Harleston headed into the break with a 2-1 advantage to their name. with Wright the scorer on both occasions.

That lead was then extended shortly after the restart thanks to deflection goals from Ridley and Rowe.

Cheltenham responded by reducing the arrears to 4-2, but the game was effectively placed out of their reach when Ridley notched a fifth goal following two bounce passes off the boards involving Sitch and Wright.

The situation detoriated even further for Cheltenham in the closing stages when their right-back was handed his marching orders after a collison with Stuart Leate.

Despite their numerical disadvantage they were able to pull a goal back late on, but Harleston held on to wrap up a 5-3 victory.

n Harleston Magpies Mixed started the defence of their National Mixed title with a 4-1 win over Ipswich.

The Magpies took a 1-0 lead into the break thanks to ex-Ipswich player Matt Richardson.

Kara Kilbourn doubled the lead after the restart and Robbie Kinsella made it 3-0.

Ipswich then reduced the arrears, but the three-goal margin was restored thanks to Simon Hipwell’s individual effort.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More