Home   Sport   Article

Magpies edged out in seven goal thriller at Weybread

EARLY GOAL: Ben Wright (left) scored the first goal for the Harleston Magpies in their 4-3 defeat at the weekend
EARLY GOAL: Ben Wright (left) scored the first goal for the Harleston Magpies in their 4-3 defeat at the weekend



Harleston Magpies 3

City of Peterborough 4

Harleston Magpies ran out of time to salvage an equaliser as City of Peterborough left with the points in a seven goal thriller at the weekend.

Peterborough started the better of the two sides, pressing Harleston back and forcing the home side into a couple of unforced turnovers, which called man of the match John Livings into making a couple of smart saves early on.

Magpies did start to find their feet and following a long corner they took the lead.

Andrew Bedwell hammered the ball in and it was expertly finished by Ben Wright in the circle with a smart deflection.

Harleston could only hold onto their lead for five minutes though, as Peterborough converted their second short corner of the day with an unstoppable finish into the top right corner of the goal.

The game was then turned on its head when Peterborough took the lead when an aerial ball caused confusion in the home defence, which allowed a Peterborough forward to finish from close range.

The visitors continued to look dangerous on the counter attack and against the run of play it was Peterborough who extended their lead.

With frustrations growing for the home side they were reduced to 10 players when Leigh Sitch was sin binned.

Peterborough moved 4-1 in front before Magpies mounted a commendable fight back, helped by the fact that Peterborough were reduced to nine players.

Matt Richardson finished expertly from a narrow angle following a long ball carry to reduce their arrears to 4-2.

Robbie Kinsella then finished after a broken down short corner to make it 4-3, with Harleston pushing for an equaliser late on but the time was against them and Peterborough were able to hang on for the win.

n Harleston Magpies Ladies continued their unbeaten start to the new Investec Women’s League Conference East season with a 1-1 draw against Cambridge City.

From the start both sides tried to gain momentum quickly, but it was Cambridge who converted their chance first with a goal from a short corner.

Magpies grabbed an equaliser on 58 minutes, as following some excellent quick passing Maria Andrews was able to put the ball past the Cambridge keeper to level the score.

n In East Women’s League Division One North, Harleston Magpies Ladies II bagged their first three points of the season with a 3-0 win against Norwich Dragons II.

n Lydia Barrett scored for Harleston Magpies Ladies VI as they beat Pelicans III 1-0 to climb up to seventh in Empresa Norfolk Women’s League Division Two.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More