Home   Sport   Article

Harleston men win promotion



Harleston Magpies 6

Felixstowe 0

Harleston Magpies secured their promotion back to the National League with victory over Felixstowe sealing the Premier Division A title.

The home side started the match in good fashion with Ben Wright narrowly deflecting an effort over the bar before the same player finally found a breakthrough, converting from a penalty corner.

Felixstowe pushed Harleston back and caused the home side some issues with Richard Larkin in particular getting himself into a pickle under an aerial threat allowing the ball to bounce.

The hosts had to wait until the 30th minute to add to their goal tally as substitute Simon Hipwell popped up at he back post to flick the ball into the corner of the net.

Harleston quickly scored their third goal as Andy Hipwell slotted home from close range in a similar fashion to his brother to give his side a comfortable lead at the interval.

That momentum continued after the break as the Magpies added a fourth goal when Andrew Bedwell drove forward sending James Baker through on goal to slot home.

Wright scored the fifth and his second when again Bedwell won the ball before transferring the ball to the right of the pitch. Mark Wheelhouse then found Andy Hipwell at the top of the circle who unselfishly played the ball to Wright at the back post to slot into an empty net.

The pressure continued as Baker got himself on the score sheet, racing towards the Felixstowe goal before slotting the ball under the arm of the advancing goalkeeper.

At the other end, John Livings was only called into action at a penalty corner as the defensive back line of Tristan Baynes, Leigh Sitch, Mark Wheelhouse, Richard Larkin, Andrew Bedwell and Sam Rowe stood strong allowing Magpies to play out the remainder of the game to secure the title and promotion.

n There was less joy for Harleston Magpies Men’s V as they finished their Division Five North East campaign with a narrow 1-0 defeat to league champions Norwich Dragons IV.

After a goalless first half, Magpies found themselves behind immediately after the break after conceding a somewhat soft goal.

Magpies regained composure and pushed hard to find an equaliser but time and time again Dragons defence made the crucial final tackle or block while at the other end Harleston goalkeeper Jordan Wiseman performed heroics to keep the scoreline down earning him the man of the match award in the process.

Despite their efforts, there was to be no equaliser as Dragons held on for victory, leaving Magpies to finish the season in a creditable fifth place.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More