Home   Sport   Article

Wait for a win goes on

By Sport Diss

The wait for a first ever point at Step 5 goes on for Framlingham Town after they lost 2-1 at Norwich United on Saturday.

ON TARGET: Matt Aldis
ON TARGET: Matt Aldis

It appeared that the newly-promoted Castlemen were on course to break their Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division duck when they headed into the interval at Plantation Park level at 0-0.

However, soon after the restart Norwich’s Liam Jackson broke the deadlock and he went on to score again later in the half to put the home team in command proceedings.

Matt Aldis did ignite hope of a late comeback for Framlingham when he halved the deficit in the closing stages, but it was not to be for Liam Abraham’s side.

The result has kept Framlingham at the foot of the table, having lost all six of their league encounters so far in 2018/19.

Tomorrow they will be hoping for better fortune in the second round qualifying of the FA Vase when they welcome lower-league Swaffham Town to Badingham Road (3pm).

The Pedlars were one of the sides that Framlingham beat to promotion in the First Division last season.

* Sixth-placed Walsham-le-Willows were held to a 2-2 draw at home by FC Clacton on Saturday.

The in-form George Bugg put the hosts into the lead with a penalty in the 34th minute that he had been awarded following a foul by Oliver Lamb.

It was Bugg’s seventh goal of an impressive campaign so far for the striker.

However, rather than build on their lead, Walsham were pegged back as goals from Adam Hampson and Matthew Eve put the visiting Seasiders in the ascendancy.

Thankfully for Walsham midfielder Matt Collins was on hand to rescue them a point – his first goal for the club since his summer switch from Mildenhall Town.

Walsham, who host Deeping Rangers in the FA Vase tomorrow (3pm), have announced that their ground will be known as the Morrish Sports Ground for the next three years following a sponsorship agreement with Morrish Consulting Engineers.

* In the Mummery Cup, Scole United booked their place in the next round thanks to a 3-2 win after extra-time over Wroxham Reserves.

Wroxham took the lead against the run of play during the first half and held on to that advantage heading into the break.

And they went two goals in front seven minutes after the restart when Ollie Woods capitalised on an error to score.

But from that moment on it was Scole piling on the pressure and they pulled one goal back through a Ryan Perry header, before Kieran Manning equalised to send the tie into extra-time.

The winning goal came in the second period through captain Jordan Balls, who headed in James Harrison’s cross.

Scole will be back in Hadley & Ottaway Anglian Combination Premier Division action tomorrow with a top-of-the-table home clash against fellow leaders Caister United (2.30pm).

* In Division Five South, a brace from Harry Brookes saw Scole United Reserves record a 2-0 victory from their trip to Martham Reserves.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More