Hornets will return to Prem, but give us time — Vince

LATE GOAL: Rob Kemp, pictured in the thick of the action, scored a consolation for Debenham LC against Team Bury on Saturday
LATE GOAL: Rob Kemp, pictured in the thick of the action, scored a consolation for Debenham LC against Team Bury on Saturday



Debenham LC 1

Team Bury 2

Debenham LC manager Dale Vince says he hopes to take his side back to the Thurlow Nunn Premier – but admits it will be a slow process.

Goals from Conor Davies and Ryan Taylor, as well as a late red card for Debenham captain Ed Cussons condemned the Hornets to their fifth straight league defeat, although Rob Kemp’s late headed goal gave them hope.

“The Premier Division is where you want to be,” he said. “Maybe one day we will get there, but we will have to do it slowly and make sure these boys are together.

“If we can keep these boys together then we could have a good chance of challenging next season.”

Reflecting on the home defeat to Team Bury, Vince added: “We weren’t at the races.

“They wanted it more than we did. If you give them goals you deserve to get punished.

“We created one or two chances ourselves, but we can’t find the net at the moment, which is disappointing when we have got strikers who I know will score goals.”

The Maitlands-based outfit host fellow strugglers Long Melford tomorrow (3pm), who sit one position and three points behind Vince’s 15th-placed side.

Team Bury created the first opportunities of the game, with Debenham goalkeeper Derren Burn being forced into an early double save from Davies and Ryan Titlow.

The home side had their first glimpse of goal shortly afterwards when defender Tom Fenner headed goalwards, only to be thwarted by his brother Stephen in the Bury goal.

Taylor then crashed against the bar after good work down the right from Titlow for the visitors, before the lively Nathan Vincent missed a glorious chance for the Hornets when Lewis Kemp found him at the back post just yards out, but the ball scooped off his right foot and safely into the gloves of Stephen Fenner.

Bury did take the lead just after the half-hour-mark.

Cobi Guyon’s free-kick was cleared only to Davies, whose deflected shot from outside the box wrong footed Burn.

Debenham could have gone into the interval level, had it not been for Ashley Thompson’s superb block from Lewis Kemp’s header on the line.

The visitors grabbed their second shortly after the hour.

The ball was worked to Taylor on the left of the Hornets’ box and he curled a wonderful effort into the top right corner.

Hopes of a Debenham comeback looked to be over when captain Ed Cussons was dismissed for bringing down Bury substitute Mason Thorogood as the last man with 15 minutes remaining.

However, despite the numerical disadvantage, Rob Kemp headed home from Tom Hardwick’s brilliant long pass for the hosts in the final minute to threaten an unlikely comeback.

Deep into injury time, Tom Fenner flicked the ball on to Hardwick who shot well, but Stephen Fenner got his body behind the ball to kill all hopes of a Debenham revival.

Debenham: Burn, Hardwick, Atkinson, R Kemp, Fenner, Cussons, Bowler (Seccombe 66), L Kemp (Ross 77), Lampshire, Vincent, Diaper (Brock 77). Subs not used: Payne, Chilvers.