Home   Sport   Article

Diss Town move back into Thurlow Nunn League First Division North top six with win over Sheringham

After collecting just one point from 15, Diss Town returned to winning ways in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division North on Saturday with a 3-1 home triumph over Sheringham.

Diss goalkeeper George MacRae was forced into making an early save, after which the hosts took the lead in the 18th minute.

Angus Mackie threaded a pass into the penalty area for Ryan Swift, who went on to get the better of Liam Davies in the visitors’ goal.

FOOTBALL: Diss Town v Sheringham.. (20760583)
FOOTBALL: Diss Town v Sheringham.. (20760583)

However, the lead lasted a mere 60 seconds as George Abbott fired in an equaliser while the Diss defence appealed for an offside flag that was not forthcoming.

But they did manage to regain the advantage before the break thanks to Ryan Fuller’s 39th-minute penalty, which was awarded after Charlie Webb had been fouled inside the box by Shane Cox.

Diss controlled large parts of the second half but it was not until the final minute that they made the points safe with a third goal.

Confusion in the Sheringham defence presented a chance to the alert Webb and he duly rolled the ball into an unguarded net.

That was not the end of the action though because deep into stoppage time Sheringham goalkeeper Davies was red carded for his reaction to a challenge from Diss’ Alex McIntosh.

Sixth-placed Diss travel to fourth-placed Norwich CBS on Saturday (3pm) and then head to Framlingham Town (17th) on November 12 (7.45pm).

* Diss Town Reserves lost 3-2 away at Framlingham Reserves, who were strengthened by their first team being inactive. Both Diss goals were scored by Robert Peake.

The Tangerines’ second string will be at home to Stowmarket Town Reserves on Saturday (3pm).

* League-leading Diss Town Under-18s were made to work hard for their 1-0 win over Kirkley & Pakefield in the Thurlow Nunn Youth Football League East Division.

The first half was played at a frantic pace with the two teams cancelling each other out.

The best Diss chance of the opening 45 minutes came at a corner just before half-time when Ewan Chamberlain had a shot blocked and in the follow up play he was denied by a good save from the visiting goalkeeper.

The only goal of the game came in the 77th minute after a move down the right.

The ball was played inside and then across into an inside left position, from where Matthew Munnings sent a perfect left-footed shot from 20 yards out low into the corner of the net.

Bungay Town are next up for Diss at Brewers Green Lane on Thursday, November 14 (7.45pm).

* Diss Town Hawks Under-16s eased into the third round of the John Savage Cup (County Cup) with an 8-1 home victory over Holt United.

In a game that was played largely in the Holt half, the Hawks ran riot with three goals in the first half and a further five after the restart to move into the last 16.

Gallen (2), Hilton (2), Pullen (2), Clements and Seymour were all on the scoresheet.

The free-scoring Hawks return to league action on Sunday at home against Norwich United (2pm).

Read more

More by this author

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More