Home   Sport   Article

Diss move a step closer to promotion with big victory



Woodford 19

Diss 66

The Diss promotion bandwagon showed no sign of letting off on Saturday as Woodford were brushed aside on their own patch.

Dave Smith’s men went into the encounter having won their previous 11 games, but their hosts had lost just once in front of their own supporters this term.

And the hosts enjoyed the early phases of the game when a series of mistakes from Diss resulted in a try after two minutes for Woodford’s number eight.

However, Diss responded with a quick penalty from Sean McClure and then, following good phase play, a try from Steve Hipwell put visitors into the lead.

A penalty allowed Woodford to restore parity, but Diss were playing well off first phase all game and were soon back on top with a well-executed converted try from McClure for a 15-8 lead.

With the game beginning to settle, Phil LeLievre spotted a gap behind the defence and with a chip over the top from Alex Leeder, LeLievre fielded the ball unopposed to score Diss’ third try.

Another try followed before the break, this time coming courtesy of Warren Wilby as the bonus point was secured.

Despite being reduced to 14 men for a period during the second half when Matt Richards was yellow carded, Diss continued to score tries at regular intervals with John Laurie (2), Chris Beaird (2), Lelievre and Hipwell all dotting down in the rout.

Diss, who lead second-placed South Woodham Ferrers by five points, are without a fixture this weekend.

They return to action on March 25, when bottom-of-the-table Campion will be the visitors to Mackenders.

n Diss III all but confirmed their status as champions of Greene King Eastern Counties League Division Three North with three games still to play courtesy of a 27-7 home win over Watton.

John Alexander — on his return to the side — scored two tries in the first half as Diss had the bonus point in the bag by the interval.

Steve MacQueen, Todd Wishart and Jacob Page also scored tries for the home team during the opening 40 minutes.

The second half was a relatively mundane affair, with visiting Watton the only team to score what were some consolation points.

The thirds now top the table by a 10-point margin from Holt II ahead of having this weekend off.

They are back in action the following Saturday with a trip to Great Yarmouth-Broadland II, who currently occupy sixth position.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More