Home   Sport   Article

Diss keep promotion dream alive with derby-day delight

DERBY DELIGHT: Action from Diss' hard-fought 36-7 victory over neighbours Norwich to keep them well within in the London Two North promotion picture
DERBY DELIGHT: Action from Diss' hard-fought 36-7 victory over neighbours Norwich to keep them well within in the London Two North promotion picture



Diss 36

Norwich 7

Diss kept their London Two North East title ambitions alive with a hard-fought 36-7 win over neighbours Norwich at home on Saturday.

After an even start to proceedings, the home side finally found a breakthrough as Tom Holt forced his way through to open the scoring with an unconverted try in what proved the only score of the first half.

Diss started the second half in a more determined fashion and despite losing Holt to the sin-bin they continued to dominate.

That pressure led to half-time substitute John Laurie extending the home side’s advantage, Jack Keppel converting, before a free-flowing move involving all six Diss backs saw Jack Peacock crash over.

Giles West scored a further try, which Keppel again converted, to seal the bonus point before Diss appeared to rest on their laurels allowing Norwich a foot hold in the game.

A broken down Diss move on the right wing allowed a Norwich winger to collect possession and race away to score a converted try.

However, after a 10 minute period of sustained pressure from the visitors their momentum was broken when they had a player sin-binned.

And with an extra man Diss were quick to take advantage as second row Paul Cayley bundled his way over to score.

The final few minutes of a very entertaining encounter saw Diss besiege their visitors’ line, and they eventually scored a converted try to wrap up proceedings.

n Table-topping Diss Saracens also remain on course for promotion from Greene King IPA Eastern Counties League Division Two North following a 26-15 win away at Fakenham.

The home side looked to assert their greater presence on Saracens in the early stages and it reaped rewards after five minutes as they forced their way over the line for a converted try, before adding a penalty shortly after.

This proved to be a wake up call for Diss who responded as a powerful run from Peter Chartier resulted in Ryan Shannon crashing over the line, Adam Guymour converting, to reduce the deficit.

The momentum continued to build with Freddie Cornish, Will Baldwin and Karlton Gray dominating which resulted in Ben Walker racing through a gap in the defensive line before off loading to Shannon to double his tally. Goymour again converted to leave the half-time score at 14-10.

Tempers began to flare after the restart and Diss were handed a big advantage as A Fakenham player was dismissed for stamping.

With the man advantage, Saracens began to dominate, putting the home side under intense pressure with Gray, Jake Girdler and Jacob Page pushing the team forward, culminating in replacement flanker Paul Coomber diving over the line, Guymour converting again.

Fakenham rallied with 10 minutes left and put Diss under a lot of pressure, pushing them deep into their own half, when the ball was regained by Diss and kicked to touch.

Fakenham set a driving maul from the lineout, and after a couple of peels the weightier pack crashed over the line. The narrowly missed conversion leaving them just six points behind.

Once again Diss attacked hard, but attempts were thwarted by a string of injuries to players from both teams.

With two minutes to go the Saracens set off on their final rampage, with centre Chris Trede making a break out wide to run 50 metres to score, earning Diss a much wanted bonus point.

The final play of the game came in the form of Goymour’s conversion attempt, which was closely missed, leaving the final score 26-15 to see the Saracens maintain their four point lead at the top of the table with one game to go.

n Despite a spirited display, Diss Under-14s missed out on Norfolk Cup Plate glory after suffering a 58-7 final defeat to West Norfolk.

With an under-strength side, Diss fell behind to three unconverted tries before responding with George Jones dodging a host of tackles to score. The try was converted by Jack Pritchard.

West Norfolk dominated the remainder of the half but Diss held firm to go into half time 22-7 down.

The second half proved a much harder task for Diss who stood up to much of the challenge but conceded a further six tries to win the cup.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More