Home   Sport   Article

Diss get back on track with hard-fought win

Rugby - Diss v South Woodham Ferrers. Sean McClure scoring Diss's third try ANL-160124-170127006
Rugby - Diss v South Woodham Ferrers. Sean McClure scoring Diss's third try ANL-160124-170127006


Diss 25

South Woodham Ferrers 17

Diss RFC responded to last week’s top of the table defeat to Saffron Walden by overcoming South Woodham Ferrers in a hard fought win.

The home side opened the scoring after two minutes following a Sean McClure penalty and immediately began to play with confidence.

Following a typically powerful Jamie Burroughs break, the ball was filtered to the in-form Matt Richards, who twisted his way over the line to score the first try of the game.

The conversion was missed and South Woodham secured line out position in the Diss twenty two, the ball was released to the Woodham three quarters and poor Diss defence allowed the visitors to reduce the deficit to 8-5.

Not to be thwarted at this stage, Diss responded in positive fashion and, following coordinated interplay between Fraser Hall, George Gooderham and Burroughs, eventually found Paul Cayley loitering out wide for the second home game in a row. A neat pass enabled Cayley to crash over and score.

Diss remained focussed and attempted to break the back of the South Woodham rear-guard. On 30 minutes, a promising five metre scrummage allowed McClure the opportunity to execute a cute line to score unopposed close to the posts. McClure converted his own try to take Diss into a deserved 20-5 lead.

At this point, the game really should have been taken away from the visitors but a lack of concentration allowed Ferrers to score a second try to draw first half events to a conclusion at 20 points to 12.

The second half failed to live up to the standards set by both teams in the first 40 minutes. With the third quarter littered with errors and no pattern, Diss Captain Fraser Hall manfully attempted to bring some structure to proceedings and, following driving play from Kimi Latu, a forward moving scrummage allowed Hall to score a bonus point try to increase the Diss lead to 25-12.

South Woodham responded in positive fashion and, following defensive errors in the Diss dead ball area, a third try for the visitors caused anxiety in the hosts ranks.

Diss ended proceedings on the offensive with Michael Fuller, Latu and McClure all having an influential presence throughout the game but there was to be no further breakthrough as the home side settled for a 25-17 victory to get back on track in the promotion push.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More