Home   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Defensive frailties hit Diss Town

More news, no ads




Diss Town 1

Stowmarket Town 3

Diss Town manager Ross Potter says his side will use this weekend’s break from action to work on easing their set-piece woes after crashing out of the League Challenge Cup.

The defeat, a second in four days following a 5-2 humbling at King’s Lynn Town Reserves, means that the Tangerines have conceded eight goals in their last two matches and their vulnerability from dead ball situations is a major concern.

“It’s becoming a bit of an Achilles heel, the set play,” said Potter. “It’s something we will definitely be working on Saturday.”

“We let in a poor goal in the first half from a set play at a time when we were on top and again two more later on in the game.

“It’s massively frustrating. Saturday was a bit like that, it looks like a heavy defeat but we just keep letting in poor goals at the moment and that’s not a good habit to be in.”

It was Diss, sporting six changes from the weekend, who started the brighter and were unfortunate not to take a lead when Adam Burroughs’ effort was ruled out for a foul on visiting keeper Kelby Sharber.

The Tangerines continued to dominate, with the lively Callum Olpin cutting in from the left and forcing Sharber into a save.

It was not long before Diss took the lead. Chris Holmes was on hand to poke home after Danny Self’s initial effort was fumbled by Sharber.

The goal served to wake up Stowmarket, who hit back immediately. The hosts failed to deal with a ball into the box and Mical Moore stabbed past Chris Bird.

Diss continued to look dangerous through Olpin, who again got the better of his full back before forcing a point blank save from Sharber.

Stowmarket began to enjoy more possession as the half drew to an end but the sides went in level.

As with the first half, Diss started on the front foot. Burroughs was again denied, this time by the offside flag, converting after being put through by Olpin.

Olpin was thwarted by Sharber once more, before Bird was called into action, producing a magnificent save from a thunderbolt of a free-kick.

However Stow took control of the tie and went ahead just after the hour mark when the impressive Paris Tuwizana controlled the ball with his back to goal before turning and rifling home.

Diss were rocking and bar a fantastic goal line clearance from Sam Wenhan, it could have been three.

Stow then hit the bar before putting the tie to bed with a little over 10 minutes remaining. Ex-Diss striker Matt Dixon burst down the left, putting it on a plate for Tuwizana to header in his second of the game.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More