Home   Sport   Article

Defeat at the seaside sees Diss drop down in the table

UNDER ATTACK: Adam Burroughs receives close attention during Diss Town's 1-1 draw against Wivenhoe Town
UNDER ATTACK: Adam Burroughs receives close attention during Diss Town's 1-1 draw against Wivenhoe Town



Great Yarmouth Town 3

Diss Town 0

Diss Town were made to pay for a slow start as they were comfortably-beaten 3-0 away at promotion-chasing Great Yarmouth Town on Monday.

The Tangerines made the Easter Monday trip to the seaside and made the worst possible start after going behind after just 20 seconds.

Ross Potter’s side produced a sluggish performance and were always second-best against the lively Bloaters.

Diss struggled to get their strikers into the game as Yarmouth’s Jack Whatmough was rarely called into action.

Tangerines’ centre back Stefan Gilding was sent-off in the second-half as Diss went onto lose 3-0 and slip to ninth in the First Division table.

Yarmouth scored in the first minute of the game when a long ball landed just outside the area, where Charlie McAra was able to edge in front of the Diss backline and lift the ball over Will Izod.

The visitors went further behind in the 12th minute when ex-Tangerine Ady Ager scored with a far post header from a corner.

For the remainder of the first-half it looked like a third goal for the hosts would effectively kill the game off, but Diss managed to keep the deficit at two goals until the break.

The nearest Potter’s side came to scoring was in the 33rd minute when Sam Page beat Whatmough to the ball on the edge of the area, but his header was cleared off the line by a covering defender.

However, the referee called back play and awarded a free-kick to Yarmouth for a foul on Ager, which angered the visitors as Sam Page did not seem to make contact with any of the home defenders.

In the 59th minute, Town’s task became even harder, as Gilding was sent off after a tussle following a challenge on a Yarmouth forward.

And despite Izod making a brilliant save seven minutes later when he stretched out his left arm to turn the ball away, the home side wrapped up victory soon after when a free-kick found the top corner.

n Monday’s defeat followed on from a promising 1-1 draw with league-leaders Wivenhoe Town on Saturday.

The Tangerines took the lead in the 10th minute when Kyle Downes headed in following a corner.

However, Diss were denied victory as the Dragons equalised in the 20th minute through Hampson’s header.

The Tangerines travel to Leiston Reserves on Saturday (3pm) before heading to AFC Sudbury Reserves on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

n Debenham LC suffered a 4-2 loss to Leiston Reserves on Saturday before drawing 1-1 with Woodbridge Town on Monday.

The Hornets travel to King’s Lynn Town Reserves on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More