Home   Sport   Article

Debenham LC cruise through in Senior Cup

Football - Debenham LC v AFC Sudbury Reserves. Luke Austin ANL-151108-095737006
Football - Debenham LC v AFC Sudbury Reserves. Luke Austin ANL-151108-095737006



Ipswich Valley Rangers 1

Debenham LC 6

Debenham LC gained revenge on Ipswich Valley Rangers for last season’s semi-final defeat by cruising to a 6-1 win in their first round clash on Saturday.

Rangers were narrow 2-1 winners when the two sides met in the last four of the Suffolk Senior Cup six months ago, but came into the rematch at the weekend with a 100 per cent losing record so far in 2015-16.

With former Hornets boss Paul Grainger now in charge of the lower league side, Debenham made sure they imposed their mark on the game from the off as they hoped to avoid a potential banana skin.

Marcus Josiah was having a field day on the right wing and it was his cross which found Ben Green, who fed it into the middle for Luke Austin to shoot into the bottom corner.

The Hornets were relentless in their attack as Lewis Kemp broke away on the left and placed a cross onto the head of Steve Fenner, who headed past the rooted Valley Rangers goalkeeper.

The game was effectively settled before the break as Green found space on the right, and his delicate cross was thumped home by Fenner to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.

Debenham were straight back into their stride when play resumed for the second-half, as Kemp fed Green, who beat his full-back with ease to slip a nice ball into Austin, who took his time to gather and slide it past the keeper and the post to make it 4-0.

Rangers pulled one back when they caught the visitors asleep, as a good pass from ex-Hornet Dan Stephens led to Grainger’s men reducing Debenham’s lead to 4-1.

However Stuart Reavell’s side quickly recovered from the blip to regain their four-goal cushion, as Austin completed his hat-trick.

A poor defensive header was latched onto by the Debenham frontman, and he ran towards goal and hit a low shot from the edge of the box which found the net to give him his third goal of the afternoon.

Hornets goalkeeper Sam Chilvers did have to get his gloves dirty with two catches, but it was Debenham who would have the last word on the first round tie.

Jake Gathercole launched a ball into the centre of the Rangers box, and after the home goalkeeper over-reached under a challenge from Fenner, the ball bounced nicely for Michael Beeton to nod into an unguarded net.

Debenham were imperial in the way they all competed and after the departures of fellow Thurlow Nunn League First Division sides Stowmarket Town, Woodbridge Town and Team Bury in the first round, will fancy their chances of at least reaching the semi-finals of the county competition again.

n Debenham maintained their recent run of good form by stretching their unbeaten run to four matches by securing a hard fought 2-1 success over Team Bury on Tuesday.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More