Home   Sport   Article

Cup ambitions are still on after success in shoot-out



Debenham LC 1

Felixstowe Harpers

United 1

(Debenham win 4-3 on penalties)

Debenham LC moved closer to Suffolk Senior Cup glory after sealing a semi-final berth with penalty shoot-out joy over Felixstowe Harpers United.

After an even start to proceedings in which Ben Golding spurned an opportunity for the home side, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock after 10 minutes.

A long ball over the top had Tom Goddard under pressure inside the area and he was adjudged to have hauled the visiting attacker down resulting in a penalty and a red card for the defender.

The spot kick was duly dispatched as the Hornets re-shaped with a back three. Despite the setback, Debenham ended the half strongly, remaining tight at the back, while at the other end, Tom Fenner glanced a header wide and Golding went close again.

That momentum continued after the restart with Jack Seccombe firing over from the edge of the area , while Lewis Kemp called the visiting custodian into action to save his free-kick.

Harpers were still dangerous on the break and almost doubled their tally but Steve Fenner was alert to deal with a dangerous move, before making another smart save shortly after.

At the other end Golding spurned two further chances before Hornets finally levelled as a Clarke free-kick from the right-hand side was met by the head of Tom Fenner who planted his effort into the bottom right corner.

Debenham’s hard work was almost undone immediately in the final moments as Lewis Kemp had to head a goal-bound effort off of the line as the match went into extra time.

The visitors dominated much of extra-time with Tom Fenner blocking a goal bound effort, while Kemp was at the right place at the right time again to clear off the line as the 10-men desperately tried to hold out.

Felixstowe spurned one final chance at the death as the match went to a penalty shootout.

Sam Diaper slotted home the first penalty before Steve Fenner gave the hosts the advantage by saving United’s first spot kick.

Luke Austin then saw his effort saved but with Kemp, Seccombe and Ben Green all scoring, Debenham clinched their place in the next round.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More