Home   News   Article

Woman dies choking on piece of sausage in Botesdale


By Newsdesk Diss


A 95-year-old woman choked to death on a piece of sausage while attending a lunch club in Botesdale, an inquest has heard.

Jean Smith, 95, died choking on a piece of sausage.
Jean Smith, 95, died choking on a piece of sausage.

Jean Smith had been with about 20 other people at Farnish House in Chapel Lane on November 19 when she began to choke.

Staff at the sheltered housing complex tried to help, carrying out the Heimlich manoeuvre but without success during which, while unable to speak, Mrs Smith remained concious.

An ambulance crew arrived and by using a special camera were able to see and then remove a large piece of sausage from Mrs Smith's airway but she had no pulse and was declared dead at the scene.

The inquest today (Monday) at Suffolk Coroners Court in Ipswich was told that Glasgow-born Mrs Smith had a previous history of choking problems.

Assistant Suffolk Coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone concluded that Mrs Smith died from choking on a piece of sausage.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More