VIDEO: 14 fire crews fight Elmswell thatch fire
Fourteen fire crews from two counties have battled a fire in the roof of a thatched house in Elmswell
Suffolk Fire Service were called to the house in Grove Lane just before 2pm on Thursday January 21 and found the fire ‘well developed around the chimney’ of the 5m by 15m roof.
A spokesman said: “The majority of firefighters involved in [fighting a] fire on first floor affecting 50 per cent of house.“
Crews using ladders and water jets were attempting to make fire break in the roof to stop the blaze spreading.
Crews were salvaging property from the burning parts of the house.
An aerial appliance was used to get a fire fighter above the roof.
By 3pm there were 10 Suffolk appliances and four from Norfolk at the scene.
Speaking at the scene, Incident Commander Pat Dacey said the fire was likely caused by a fault in the flume of the home’s woodburner.
“It is always heart breaking to see, it really is,” he said.
“These thatch houses are people’s dream homes. It is such terrible misfortune.”
Pat said he expected the fire crews to work through the night to put out the fire.
He said the fast action of the first fire crew, who went in and aggressively fought the blaze from inside the loft, would have saved much of the building from the fire.
He said: “These initial actions have resulted in probably saving, looking at it now, 50 percent of the ancient structure of the roof and certainly the first and ground floor, and all credit to them.”