Toddler who died in collision on Kenninghall farm was involved in “tragic accident”.

A toddler who died following a collision with a pick-up truck on a farm in Kenninghall was almost certainly involved in a tragic accident.

It is understood the toddler, aged nearly two, died following the collision at just before 4pm yesterday at the family farm, run by the Wood family, off Fersfield Road. Police have not yet confirmed his name.

The agency reported the toddler’s distraught parents were named locally as Lucy Wood, 33, who was understood to have had her birthday yesterday, and Richard Criddle, 40. Friends said the couple have another child aged four.

The agency reporter spoke to a friend of the family, who did not wish to be named, and told them: “It is a terrible farming accident that the family will have to live with forever.

She said a farm worker may have been driving the pick-up truck which was in collision with the boy.

“The village is totally rocked and devastated by the news,” she added.

Norfolk Constabulary said they believed the death was the result of a tragic accident.

Detective Inspector Andy Coller said: “Our investigations are continuing with officers working closely with the Health and Safety Executive, however, at this time all indications are that this appears to have been a tragic accident.

“We have a specialist officer lending support to the family at this very difficult time and this will continue.”

Police had spoken to a man in his 60s, but no arrests were made.

Mr Criddle’s boss David Ball who runs Norwich Livestock Market, spoke to the agency reporter and said: “Richard has worked for me for 18 months. He is my head sheep man.

“Richard is one of the best chaps I know. This is such a tragic incident.”

Alex Dinsdale, from the Norfolk branch of the National Farmers Union, said: “Our thoughts are with the family at this time.”

East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the family at this tragic time.

“We were alerted at 4.04pm and the child was pronounced dead at the scene.”