Home   News   Article

Diss takeaway was infested with cockroaches


By Newsdesk Diss


Diss Tandoori
Diss Tandoori

Health officials who found an infestation of cockroaches ordered the immediate shutdown of a Diss takeway,

The Diss Tandoori was ordered to close last Thursday because of an “imminent risk of injury” to health.

A hygiene emergency prohibition notice posted in the window states that throughout the premises, including the kitchen, storeroom and dining area, there was an “extensive infestation of German cockroaches.

“Open food is contaminated with cockroaches and nymphs [young cockroaches]. The infestation is significant and extensive,” the notice stated.

It was addressed to Mrs Shafia Chowdhuya and Mr Sahil Shahriya and signed by Annmarie O’Toole, a South Norfolk Council environmental health officer, and dated November 1.

The takeaway was still displaying this week its previous Food Standards Agency hygiene rating of five - the maximum.

This week Norwich Magistrates converted the council’s closure notice into an order.

South Norfolk Prohibition Notice
South Norfolk Prohibition Notice

A council spokesman said: “This will stay in place until the council is happy that the required improvements have been made. We estimate four weeks.”

Lisa Neal, the council cabinet member for public safety, said: “We will be working with the owners of the business to help them resolve the issues that have forced the council to take this action.

“The safety of our residents is our priority and the business will stay closed until we are satisfied that conditions have improved.”

The Tandoori takes orders online and according to its website had been opening from 5-11pm seven nights a week.

Calls to the restaurant have not been returned this week and when an order is placed on line, a notice appears saying “The restaurant is not open for business today”.

*Two years ago the Diss Express reported that the Tandoori, then described as a restaurant and takeaway serving Indian and Bangladeshi cuisine, was celebrating 30 years in business. The two co-founders referred to in the story are not the people named in the South Norfolk notice ordering the closure.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More