Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

CCTV footage released after shop robber armed with knife given 10 year sentence

More news, no ads


A man who entered a convenience shop in Eye with a knife and a carrier bag to rob the site in 2020 has been given a 10 year sentence.

Craig Johnson, of no fixed address, appeared before Ipswich Crown Court last Friday, where he was sentenced to six years and three months’ imprisonment, plus a three years and nine months extended licence period.

The 39-year-old, who also robbed a shop in Leiston on the same day as the Eye incident, had previously pleaded guilty to one count of robbery and one count of attempted robbery.

Johnson was on parole serving an extended six-year licence from a previous sentence when he robbed the two shops.
Johnson was on parole serving an extended six-year licence from a previous sentence when he robbed the two shops.

Detective Inspector Matt Adams, said: “Both of these crimes would have been horrific experiences for the shop staff to endure.

“Johnson has an appalling history of violent crime - he has previous convictions for conspiracy to commit robbery and robbery, serving significant prison terms as a result.

“When he committed these most recent offences he was still on parole as he was serving an extended six-year licence from a previous sentence.

“I am extremely pleased to see Johnson returned to prison for a considerable length of time and I hope this will provide some comfort and reassurance to his victims.”

On March 29, 2020, Johnson went armed into the McColl’s in Church Street, Eye, where he grabbed hold of a female member of staff by the neck and dragged her around the shop floor.

He held the knife to her neck throughout the incident, while shouting: “give me the money, open the tills, give me the money now.”

Johnson tried to lean over the shop counter and unsuccessfully open the tills while still holding the shop assistant.

He left the shop still brandishing the knife but had dropped the carrier bag on the floor.

No money or other items were stolen, but the victim was left extremely shaken and sustained cuts and bruises during the incident.

Johnson was arrested by investigating officers the following day after the robberies.

After being bailed, he was wanted on recall to prison and so remained off the streets, before being charged with the offences in November and appearing before magistrates on December 18 last year.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More