Home   News   Article

Unsolved case of Richard Clarke's death hits 10-year anniversary

It has been 10 years since the death of Richard Clarke.

The 73-year-old retired thatcher was found outside his home in Park Lane in Eye, on August 22, 2009, and died of a serious head injury later that day.

A decade later, the case remains unsolved and police are now appealing to his attacker’s conscience or for people who know what happened to come forward.

Richard Clarke was attacked and died in August, 2009.
Richard Clarke was attacked and died in August, 2009.

Andy Guy, the Major Crime Review and Unsolved Case Manager, from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, said: “Ten years have now passed since Richard Clarke’s death and it is deeply frustrating that we have not been able to provide the answers surrounding this incident for his family.

“Over the past decade, Richard’s death must have played on the conscience of whoever attacked him and those that know about what happened.

“I would ask these people to do the right thing and make contact, enabling us to bring some closure for his family.”

How the Diss Express reported on it 10 years ago.
How the Diss Express reported on it 10 years ago.

On the afternoon of Friday, August 21, 2009 Richard went to The Horseshoes Public House in Billingford and left in a taxi.

He stopped to pick up a Chinese meal in Eye at about 7pm and he arrived at his home at around 7.15pm.

It is thought that Mr Clarke consumed part of his meal in the driveway of his home.

A witness saw a man, believed to be Richard, sitting in his driveway, which is off the B1077 Cranley Green Road on the outskirts of Eye, holding his head just after 8pm.

It is possible he had sustained his head injury by this time.

The next time he was seen was when he was discovered seriously injured in the early hours of Saturday morning, August 22.

It is believed that Mr Clarke was the victim of an attack, with three pathologists agreeing that he died as a result of a fracture to the rear of his skull and that this was likely to have been caused by an accelerated fall backwards, rather than a simple fall.

He had also sustained a fracture to the right cheekbone which created the distinct possibility he was struck on the face, propelling him backwards and causing the fracture to the rear of his skull.

“We would be interested to hear from anyone with any information about his death and I believe it is very possible that someone living in the local area around Eye could hold the key to unlocking this mystery,” said Mr Guy.

“We know a witness saw Richard on the ground at around 8pm on the Friday evening and so it is possible the events that took place happened around this time.”

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should call 01953 423819 or email unsolvedcasereviews@norfolk.pnn.police.uk. Alternatively, call charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

This article appeared in the Diss Express on August 23.

Read more

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More