Home   News   Article

Diss Tandoori back in business after enforced closure




The owner of a Diss restaurant has vowed to keep his establishment spotless and apologised to customers after it was closed because of a cockroach infestation.

Sahill Shahriya, owner of Diss Tandoori. Picture by Mecha Morton
Sahill Shahriya, owner of Diss Tandoori. Picture by Mecha Morton

Sahill Shahriya, 38, said the discovery of a cockroach infestation in his poppadom cabinet had brought “great shame”.

South Norfolk Council inspectors closed the restaurant in November.

It reopened on December 28.

“I was given the go-ahead to reopen mid-December but waited two weeks,two have two more pest control sessions even though the council and pest control said it was all ok,"said Mr Shahriya.

“I have now also arranged a monthly visit from pest control and told the council they can drop by whenever they want. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.”

Mr Shahriya, who has lived in Diss for 12 years and has run the restaurant in Shelfanger Road since last August, had been on holiday in the Far East for three weeks prior to the infestation being found.

"A customer first spotted a cockroach on a wall and then reported it to the council,” he said.

“I spotted a couple more the next day and immediately called in pest control. The council came the day before they arrived and that is when the infestation was discovered in the poppadom trays.

“It is very difficult to get into those and staff had also covered them with silver foil. When I saw the infestation, it was bad, and I felt a great shame.”

Mr Shahriya has since spent thousands of pounds on seven sessions of pest control, as well as redecorating the eatery.

“Diss is a small community, so there is no point trying to hide anything,” said Mr Shahriya, who previously ran a restaurant in Watton for five years.

Diss Tandoori, which has six staff, took 10 online orders on the day of opening, five the following day, and on New Year’s Day, it had 12 customers.

"I have many loyal customers and would like to thank them for their support," said Mr Shahriya.

South Norfolk Council cabinet member Lisa Neal said: “Following an inspection that showed

there is no longer a public health risk associated with the premises, Diss Tandoori has been issued with a certificate allowing it to reopen.

"The owners will continue to take advice from their chosen pest control contractor and follow their recommendations.

"The Council will continue to support the business and trust that they will be able to maintain these improved standards.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More