Residents threaten legal action after Bressingham venue approval

Bressingham Hall ANL-150701-185335001
Bressingham Hall ANL-150701-185335001
Share this article

Opponents to the controversial Bressingham wedding venue approved by planners last week claim they may take the decision for a judicial review at the High Court if their concerns are not taken seriously.

Three planning applications related to building the new venue, behind Bressingham Hall, and installing a temporary marquee, which were submitted by the famous Bloom family, all obtained conditional approval from South Norfolk Council, amid objections from many local residents.

The opposition group has attempted to enter discussions with the council in the hope of amending the conditions of the planning approval, with the group particularly keen to have their fears of noise disruption addressed.

Mervyn Lambert, the well-known businessman, who lives in Bressingham near the venue site, said the objectors were “not happy” with the way decision was handled at last Wednesday’s planning committee meeting and added that he was seeking legal advice on their next course of action.

Mr Lambert told the Diss Express: “We are not against the idea of a venue and we are not NIMBYs.

“But we want to safeguard the enjoyment of our properties and we have a right to uphold that.”

At the meeting, committee members unanimously agreed they had to follow their planning officer’s initial recommendation, after the applicant and opponents submitted separate noise reports that disagreed on whether or not the venue could achieve an acceptable sound level.

However, Mr Lambert insisted their evidence showed the venue sounds would be above background noise levels, and felt there had to be more stringent conditions to stop people living close by from being disturbed.

“We are not happy about the level of sound. We don’t think we should have to go indoors in the summer just to not have to hear the ‘dum, dum, dum’ from the amplified music,” he said.

“If certain conditions are not made, I will consider going to a judicial review.”

Mr Lambert was hopeful of success with the council.

South Norfolk Council has not yet commented.