Home   News   Article

Future of Mere’s Mouth toilet block may be reconsidered




Mere Street, Diss. Picture Mark Bullimore. (2279411)
Mere Street, Diss. Picture Mark Bullimore. (2279411)

The future of Mere’s Mouth toilet block may be reconsidered after new information came to light.

Councillors and members of the public heard at the town council’s facilities committee meeting last week that "new information" following a recent meeting between South Norfolk Council, Diss Town Council and Diss Parochial Charity means the future of the toilets could be reconsidered by both the district and town council.

Cllr Chris Liggett, who chaired the meeting on Wednesday, said: “Following the meeting, new information came to light which means that South Norfolk is now considering its position and we are waiting for the results of the discussions they are now having.

“What we hope is that, in reconsidering, this will now enable us to now reconsider our position because, while there is no guarantees until we get the results of their deliberations, if there is an opportunity for us to keep the Mere’s Mouth toilets, we would be as delighted as yourselves and other people would be, too.”

The town council had voted to demolish the toilet block after being presented with a survey, commissioned by the South Norfolk Council, with the district council calling it “beyond economic repair”.

The district council had been due to hand ownership and maintenance over to the town council in March, until the results of the survey emerged.

It is understood the district council is now in discussion with landowner, Diss Parochial Charity.

“At this stage, we don’t know what the answer is going to be because it’s in the hands of South Norfolk,” added Cllr Liggett.

“We are not in a position to have a formal input at this stage, so we have to wait for the results of that deliberation.”

The meeting was also attended by four members of the public, including Diss WI. The group’s president Jo Locke, handed in a petition with 30 member names, who she said needed “no encouragement to sign”.


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More