Man released from custody after homeless person attacked in park
A man has been released from police custody following an incident in which a homeless man was attacked in Diss Park
Police cordoned off a section of the park, alongside Diss Mere, at 9.40pm on Saturday, following reports a man, who had been living in a tent, had been attacked with a metal tool.
The assault left him with serious head and facial injuries.
A man was arrested at 10.10pm on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre to be questioned.
He has since been released on bail until September 11, while an investigations continue.
The victim, who is in his 30s, was taken to Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) for treatment.
He had been living in the tent in Diss Park, since July.
Diss Town Council, who own the park, had no intention to move the man on after talks with the district council and police.
Council leader, Simon Oldander said the town council felt it should "not shun people, who are obviously in need."
The man had previously been forced to move his tent from outside retirement bunglows on Thomas Manning Road after Saffron Housing Trust began court action.
Inspector Laura Symonds, of Norfolk Police, said: "I'm aware this incident has caused concern among the local community.
"The victim, a homeless man, was left with serious injuries and is in a stable condition in hospital. I would like to reassure the public we believe this to be an isolated incident and the victim and offender are known to one another."