Home   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Friends pay tribute to pedestrian killed in Diss postal lorry accident

Maureen Self’s smile is what friends and neighbours in Rickinghall remember most about the mum-of-five after her death.

The 75-year-old, who had been living in the village for more than 50 years, was named as the victim of a fatal collision involving a postal lorry in Diss at an inquest last week.

Mrs Self, of Water Lane, was actively involved in the church and was known for her passion for gardening.

Floral tributes were left at the scene.
Floral tributes were left at the scene.

Jeff Lamb, a former church warden at Rickinghall Inferior from 2009 to 2019, said: “Maureen was a loyal and devoted member of our church.

“She loved her garden and had beautiful flowers. She will be greatly missed both in the church and the local community.”

He added: “I liked her a lot. I had a soft spot for Maureen.”

READ MORE: Man airlifted to hospital following crash involving two cars near Eye

Mrs Self, who attended services at Rickinghall, Park View Chapel and the Methodist church, served as a member of the parochial church council for many years and was well-known in the community.

“People would see Maureen going up the street at least once a day,” said Lesley Greenhough, who moved to the village in 1984 to run Botesdale Post Office with her husband.

“She was a familiar face in the community and always had a smile on her face.

“She was genuinely really friendly and always stopped for a chat.”

Mrs Self, who had five children, two sons and three daughters, was a keen supporter of community events, with one of her neighbours describing her as “part of Rickinghall”.

“I’ve known her for a lot of my life,” they said.

“There was nothing really bad about Maureen, she was somebody you couldn’t help liking.

“It didn’t seem to matter what the weather was like, Maureen was always wearing a smile. I think that’s what a lot of people would remember about Maureen.”

Another neighbour, Joyce Williamson, expressed her deep shock at the accident on July 16.

She said: “Maureen was lovely. The whole street is still deeply in shock by what’s happened and it is a tragedy.

“I’ve been her neighbour for the last 15 years and she will be missed.”

The initial inquest at Norfolk Coroner’s Court in Norwich was adjourned until August 30 to allow for the completion of certain reports.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More