Firefighters attend blaze at Banham Poultry
Six fire trucks were called out to tackle a blaze at Banham Poultry’s meat procession plant in Attleborough this morning.
The fire, which was believed to be caused by malfunctioning machinery in the plant, began at 7:37am, and was extinguished by noon.
Staff were evacuated whilst firefighters wore breathing apparatus as they used hose reel jets to extinguish the fire, thought to come from a loading bay in one of the main buildings on the site.
Fire crews from all over the county were called out to the incident – four appliances from Attleborough, Hingham and Wymondham all attended, along with an aerial ladder platform from Earlham and water carrier from Hethersett – however a spokesperson for Norfolk County Council later said this was a precautionary measure for any fire at a building of that size.
The factory, in Station Road, has been at the centre of media attention for the past two months when, in August, it was the centre of Norfolk’s single largest coronavirus outbreak, which saw 130 workers test positive for the virus.