Home   News   Article

Eye resident who repeatedly punched man in the face in town jailed

Latest News from the Diss Express, dissexpress.co.uk, @diss_express on Twitter
Latest News from the Diss Express, dissexpress.co.uk, @diss_express on Twitter

A man who launched a sustained early morning attack in the centre of Eye has been jailed.

Daniel Robinson, 29, of Castle Hill, Eye, appeared today (Thursday) at Ipswich Crown Court where he pleaded guilty to an offence of wounding causing grievous bodily harm.

The court heard that Robinson had repeatedly punched Jason Webb in the face and then kicked him in the head as he sat on the ground during the early hours of May 11 last year.

Mr Webb, who suffered a fracture to his face as well as cuts and abrasions, could remember little of what had happened, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.

Mr Crimp said: “He can’t really remember any details until he was being seen to by paramedics on his way to hospital.”

Jailing him for 32 months, Judge John Devaux told Robinson that it had been a sustained assault, in a public place and there was no alternative to an immediate prison sentence.

Mr Crimp said the attack followed an incident on the evening of May 10 during a party at the community centre in Eye.

Following that incident it appeared that Robinson had been asked to leave the premises by, among others, Mr Webb.

During the early hours of the following morning Mr Webb was walking home through the centre of Eye when he was confronted by Robinson , who was accompanied by two friends.

After saying “Hello mate” to Mr Webb, Robinson grabbed him in a headlock and proceeded to punching his face and head several times, said Mr Crimp.

One of the men with Robinson, Dillon Thorndike, later told police that Robinson, who had been drinking, was “a bit of a mess, fairly off his head.”

After being released by Robinson, Mr Webb had moved towards Mr Thorndike who, fearing he was going to be attacked, pushed away Mr Webb who fell to the ground.

It was then that Robinson, while leaving the scene, landed more punches on Mr Webb’s head and kicked him in the head knocking him “clean out” Mr Crimp told the court.

John Page, who had also been walking with Robinson, stayed at the scene to help Mr Webb and Mr Thorndike returned soon afterwards to also offer help.

The court heard that Robinson had 26 previous convictions for 85 separate offences.

Defending, Jonathan Goodman said that while details of the incident at the community centre were unclear, it was of note that Mr Webb had initially declined to tell police what had happened to him and asked for no action to be taken.

Mr Goodman said: “This was a confrontation between two people in drink following a party and in which Mr Webb clearly came off worse.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More