Home   News   Article

Councils and landowner meet to discuss future of Mere's Mouth toilets




Diss, Norfolk. Mere's Mouth in Diss. Picture: Mark Bullimore Photography (2348879)
Diss, Norfolk. Mere's Mouth in Diss. Picture: Mark Bullimore Photography (2348879)

A meeting was held this week to discuss the next steps for a condemned toilet block in Diss.

Representatives from South Norfolk Council, Diss Town Council and Diss Parochial Charity, met on Tuesday for what was described as an "operational meeting".

South Norfolk is due to demolish the Mere's Mouth block after town councillors voted in favour of the option earlier this year.

The district council had hoped to hand over ownership of the toilet block in March, along with a lump sum of £80,000 for refurbishment.

However, a structural survey commissioned by the district council led to the block being described by them as "beyond economic repair".

Town councillor Neil Howard told a full town council meeting in May that the survey showed the toilets were in a "shocking state" and the survey made "rather horrendous" reading as the building was "literally sliding and twisting".

Last week, town mayor Trevor Wenman defended the decision to demolish the site after a petition – signed by 1,500 people – was handed to the council, as well as South Norfolk Council and MP Richard Bacon.

It called for a toilet to be retained at the Mere's Mouth site amid suggestions it could be replaced by retail units.

Following the meeting, a statement from South Norfolk Council said: "There was a meeting yesterday between the district and town council and Diss Parochial Charity, which owns the land at Mere's Mouth.

"Following the town council's recent decision regarding the toilets, the meeting was to discuss what happens next and what needs to be put in place to enable the town council to move forward with its wish to improve that area of the town."

A statement from the town council said: "We look forward with interest to the outcomes of the discussions between the landowner and South Norfolk Council."

When contacted, the parochial charity did now wish to comment following the meeting.

A full report and analysis of two expert surveys into the current condition of the toilet block can be found in this week's Diss Express.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More