Former rugby player Bryan Steven would be constantly telling his daughter Hayley that ‘she could do anything she put her mind to’ and ‘never to give up on her goals’ – but as his weight had soared he knew in his heart he was not the father he wanted to be.
“I had to take a long look at myself and knew I wasn’t the role model I wanted to be, both my kids saw me failing and giving up constantly,” Bryan, who had drifted to a size 58 inch waist, said.
The 40-year-old decided to take action, sought one to one support and planned his food regime in advance, and now has a size 34 inch waist and is training for a half marathon.
“I am so much more confident and motivated,” he said. “I don’t avoid social events.
My relationship with my wife is better and I’m able to spend really good time with both kids, be active and finally be a good role model,” he said.
The summer is coming and we all want to wear the clothes we want to, no longer be unhappy with our weight, and to be healthy and feel alive.
To lose weight and feel as great as Bryan try:
1) Planning your food for the week, especially thinking white meat – chicken and white fish rather than salmon – which are all less fatty choices.
2) Plan to have quick and easy healthy snacking choices in the fridge so when you are tempted you have good choices – turkey slices are good or boiled eggs.
3) Plan to enjoy a low calorie soup as a starter to help fill you up so you eat less later calorific food in the meal.
4) Add in exercise that costs you nothing, from walking 30 minutes every day to cycling, gardening or even those household chores.
5) Do lose weight quickly and safely so you do not become demotivated with tiny losses. I lost seven stone myself nine years ago – in five months.
A stone a month is realistic with a health professional’s support, achievable to lose safely, and maintain.
6) Find one to one support and encouragement from someone who understands, so you are not lost in a big class.
n To read Bryan’s full story please visit: www.cambridgeweightplan.com/success-stories/42/bryan-steven and mine at www.cambridgeweightplan.com/JohnH
n Award winning diet coach John Howard understands how hard it is to lose weight – and keep it off. He lost 7 stone in five months – and nine years on has kept his new shape.
n Diet coach John Howard supports dieters on a one to one basis at Eye and from a Stowmarket health centre, to lose about a stone a month and no longer be unhappy with their weight. He can be contacted on 0787 231 4653, 01379 678416, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org