Bus company to bid again for contracts
The future of bus services in Suffolk remains uncertain after a major operator said this week it was withdrawing from contracts to provide routes from Ipswich.
Galloways said it plans to withdraw from its current contracts to provide the 112, 113, 114, 115 and 116 services from October 18.
Services from Ipswich run to Diss, Eye, Mendlesham and Debenham.
The firm had been due to renegotiate its contracts in 2020, but said the move was intended to bring matters forward. It confirmed it would bid during any tendering process.
The county council is undertaking a shake-up of rural bus services but had not said these services were at risk.
A spokeswoman said: “These routes will be tendered out shortly and, while there may be some changes, we intend to stay as close to existing routes as possible.
“Most passengers will not be impacted, as any new tender will start the day after the current one ends.
“This is a good opportunity to try to integrate some of the other bus services which are currently under review.”
More by this authorChris Morris