Anonymous letter claims responsibility for poisonous dog treats found in Thorndon
An anonymous letter sent to the Diss Express office has claimed responsibility for the poisonous dog treats found in Thorndon.
Dog owner Mark Chenery had discovered a number of chocolate marshmallows containing pharmaceutical-type capsules on the ground near to Clint Road, some of which were eaten by his pet dogs.
Subsequently, his four dogs had to be taken to the vets to have their stomachs emptied at a cost of £180.
In the letter, the writer explained how his wife had been suffering from a mental health condition and how the only way for her to take her medication was by covering the pills in chocolates.
“I believe now, in fact, she has hidden them from me and used a recent walk to Thorndon to dispose of them,” said the anonymous writer.
“I know this has caused much distress to the Chenery family and I apologise from the bottom of my heart. I hope they and God will forgive her as I cannot give up on her.”
Attached to the letter was £200 to cover the vet bills. Both the letter and money has been passed on to the police.
“It’s just bizarre,” said Mr Chenery, who lives in Stoke Ash. “It’s like something made up in a film.
“If it’s genuine and we knew who they were, I personally wouldn’t hold a grudge at all. If it’s a situation where the wife is struggling, I wouldn’t be angry with the person. I wouldn’t want any revenge.”
The 53-year-old added: “I guess I would even sympathise with them. If he wanted to come forward, I would gladly meet him and accept his apology face-to-face.”
After the incident, Mr Chenery went back to Thorndon and also discovered a log with screws in, which punctured his tyres.
“They don’t have to be connected but it seemed that way at the time,” he said.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Police said: “The investigation remains ongoing. Anyone with any information is urged to contact police on 101 with CAD reference 299 of December 17.”
More by this authorVictoria Scheer