A former school’s history is being celebrated as part of a national event which offers free access to interesting properties.
The Pennoyer Centre in Pulham St Mary, which was once home to Pennoyer’s School, will be holding an exhibition for ‘Heritage Open Days’ on September 12, 13 and 14.
Established in 1674 through a bequest from William Pennoyer, a rich Puritan merchant, the school provided 314 years of free primary education for local children, until it closed down in 1988.
For 25 years the site remained derelict until a team of dedicated villagers rescued it in 2009. With the support of grant funders, including the Heritage Lottery Fund, a huge restoration project took place to turn the dilapidated building into a community centre.
Organisers are keen to hear from anyone who has any memorabilia relating to the school and are interested in any objects, documents, reports or pre-war photographs that could be borrowed or reproduced for the event, which will run from 9.30am until 4pm daily.
If you can help, please contact the Centre on 01379 676660.