Oates back in action and eyeing up top 20
Judo star Colin Oates returns to competitive action for the first time since the London Olympics today when he fights in the Malaga European Cup in Spain.
And the North Lopham resident is aiming to break into the world’s top 20 with big outings in the Samoa World Cup (Apia, November 16) and China Grand Prix (Qingdao, November 24) following his warm-up in Spain, where he will fight up a weight at 73kg.
Great Britain’s number one at under-66kg is currently ranked 27th in the world in the latest published International Judo Federation Rankings, having previously held a career high of 25.
The joint seventh-place finisher at London 2012 said: “The aim is to try and push into the top 20 and then top 15.
“If I am honest, Malaga is a move towards feeling back into it so I am ready for the long journey to Samoa and then China but I always go to win though.”
Kumo Judo Club fought five players at the Southend International with Gemma Moore (u63kg) taking gold, David Oates (u66kg) taking silver and Catalin Sergeant (u48kg) taking bonze.
- Traffic queues in Diss after van is impaled on barrier
- Cameron hopes to become new King of Carrow Road
- Young south Norfolk woman jailed for Centre Parcs theft she allowed colleagues to be under suspicion for
- Child taken to hospital following collision with car in Diss
- Tributes flood in as north Suffolk village loses its second community champion in the space of a few months
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east