FOOTBALL ROUND-UP: Teenager makes Scole debut while Harleston know the joy of six

editorial image
Have your say

A round-up of the local football scene...



Mulbarton Wanderers 1

Scole United 2

Scole gave a full debut to 17-year-old George Rout and pushed Ben Cussons up front, taking the lead after five minutes.

Rout put in a corner and, when Ireland flicked the ball forward, Marc Pearce was the first to react, scoring from close range.

Will Goulding fired over as the three-man attack of Scole looked good on the break and then a few minutes late. At the other end, Pipe turned his man but his powerful shot was superbly tipped on to the post by Ben Buckmaster.

Buckmaster kept out a header from Farrow, but Mulbarton equalised after 65 minutes, a near post corner seeing the ball bobble in.

With neither team really wanting extra time, the game opened up, both sides going close before Scole got the winner five minutes from time.

A far post corner was met by Pearce and when his header was cleared off the line, Ben Cussons smashed home the rebound.

Harleston Town 6

Reepham Town 0

Harleston’s new management team of Adam Gusterson and Olly Willis made the perfect start by hitting fellow Premier Division side Reepham for six, to secure Town’s first win of the season, Scott Woodgate bagging a hat-trick.

Harleston, with new signing Sam Willis making his debut in midfield, started the game well and deservedly took the lead after 15 minutes when a corner from Lee West was turned in from close range by Neil Renaut. Five minutes later the lively Calum Burke finished off a good move.

On the half-hour Town made it three when Nick Howell’s cross shot was controlled by Woodgate who finished well to score his first goal for the club. On the stroke of half-time Sam Watts glanced home a header, his third goal in two games.

The second half started in a similar vein, Woodgate pouncing on a mistake to score his second five minutes in. Harleston were now in cruise control and, despite a couple of half chances from Reepham that John Howes was equal to, Woodgate had the final say ten minutes from time.


Scole United Reserves 3

Great Yarmouth Reserves 5

With a depleted side due to injuries and first team call-ups Scole did well to give Yarmouth Reserves a battle.

They conceded early, but managed to draw level through an own goal. Two quick goals late in the half saw Scole go in at half-time 3-1 down.

Scole However, turned the tide and goals from Scott Partridge and man of the match Harry Rolingson saw them draw level.

However, another fast break from Yarmouth saw them take a 4-3 lead and a late penalty sealed the match.




Morley Village 5

Bridgham United 2

Bridgham United competed well for 75 minutes. The home side hit the bar early on, but Bridgham took the lead from a superb free kick by Dean Sofley.

Morley equalised on 53 minutes before United regained the lead on 70 minutes, Simon Sutcliffe’s first goal for the club.

However, the hosts stepped up their game and as Bridgham looked tired and had already lost Darren Odey to a head injury, Morley equalised in the 75th minute.

Morley scored three more times in the last 10 minutes.




AFC Hoxne 2

Ipswich Exiles 0

AFC Hoxne maintained their unbeaten home league record. They made the brighter start and took a 10th-minute lead.

Brett Belllamy bagged his sixth goal of the season with a terrific right-foot free kick.

On another day, home striker Bobby Varela might have claimed a hat-trick, while visiting keeper Liam Playford made some good saves.

Exiles missed a golden chance to equalise just before half-time, Gavin Mortimer firing wide from the spot.

The game ebbed and flowed in the second half until Hoxne clinched the match 15 minutes from time when Robert Peake crossed from the left and Daniel Betts fired home an unstoppable shot from close range.


Harford Tornadoes 2

Diss Town under-18s 0

Diss are the only team yet to win this season in the East Division.

More clinical finishing and fewer mistakes by the home side made the difference.

Jack Parvell ran on to an 11th minute through ball to loft over the advancing Josh Goodwin-Tallents for the opening goal.

Diss went close, Sam Neal seeing a shot superbly blocked by goalkeeper Archie Bean and Elliot Gibson’s shot grazing the far post.

Early in the second half a long ball from deep inside the Tornadoes’ half bounced over the onrushing Goodwin-Tallents, which allowed Ryan Donnelly to run through and score.

Neal chipped the keeper, the ball hitting the post. Neal was doing well to get into dangerous positions and a quarter of an hour from time he shot narrowly wide.

The under-18s are in action on Thursday when they host Beccles Town (7.45pm).


Diss Town Under-12s put in a superb footballing display to beat Lakeford 14-0 in our match of the week.

The Tangerines were 3-0 up after only four minutes, as goals from Will Cunningham (four), Kai Thurston (three), Tyler Noller and Matthew Munnings gave Diss a 9-0 lead at half-time.

Further goals followed in the second-half, with midfielders Alfie Marsham, Samuel Hasson-Cox and Miles Holliday providing the ammunition for Thurston and Noller to increase their tallies.

Cunningham netted twice more to complete his double hat-trick, with an own goal completing the rout.

Diss Town Under-16s were defeated at Ransomes 6-2 in a game of-contrasting halves.

After going behind against the run of play, Diss responded well and deservedly levelled through Isaac Holliday.

However, Ransomes upped their game in the second-half and scored two goals before Chris Disney pulled one back.

The visitors conceded again as they pressed forward.

Eye Saints Under-15s were beaten 4-1 at Coplestonians.

The home side made their physical advantage pay from the off, as Eye were restricted to several half chances before going into the break 1-0 down.

After Coplestonians had increased their lead to 3-0, the Saints were given a lifeline when Connor Blake’s floated free-kick was headed home by Ralph Slaney.

A harsh penalty decision saw the home side restore their three-goal cushion.

Diss Hawks Under-14s sealed a 4-0 victory at Stowupland Falcons.

Henry Ready made some valuable saves, before Oliver Hunt opened the scoring just before half-time.

The Hawks doubled their lead through Hunt, with further goals from Jacob Ready and Harry Maguire completing a 4-0 win away from home.

Eye Saints Eagles Under-14s’ Kristan Tucker scored two and set-up one in a man-of-the-match performance to help his team beat AFC Kesgrave 3-0.

Harry Maguire’s corner was headed home at close range by Tucker to put Eye in front, before Thomas Simpson’s tap-in from Tucker’s cross made it 2-0.

A well-placed free-kick from Tucker increased Eye’s lead.

Scole under-12s showed their true team spirit on Sunday with a thrilling 5-4 away win against Norwich Utd.

Two goals down after ten minutes, Scole fought back to level at half-time with two goals from Ewan Johnson and then added a further three goals in the second half.

Norwich regained the lead, but the advantage was short lived thanks to Brad Potter whose feed from Jimmy Ellwood and cool finish around the keeper levelled the scores.

Lewis Burrows smashed in a 40-yarder for Scole under-16s in their 8-2 victory at Cringleford. Ben Andrews made it two, powering in a header before Cringleford replied.

Lawrence Brown finished well after a neat one-two with Charlie Hitch. Harry Browne made it four, before Andrews slotted in his second. Matt Perry’s left-foot volley made it six before the interval.

Scole moved further ahead with Charlie Hitch finishing from close range and Jimmy Morrissey added an eighth. Cringleford scored just before the end.