Diss decide against appeal

Latest Sport News from the Diss Express, dissexpress.co.uk, @diss_express on Twitter
Latest Sport News from the Diss Express, dissexpress.co.uk, @diss_express on Twitter

Diss Town have decided against appealing the Thurlow Nunn League’s decision to force them to replay three of their games for fielding an ineligible player.

The Tangerines were penalised last week for playing Chris Bartram in the First Division wins against Stowmarket Town (4-1) and Dereham Town Reserves (2-0), as well as the 1-1 draw with AFC Sudbury Reserves earlier in the season.

Bartram had been previously registered with an FA affiliated five-a-side team which folded, and unknowingly failed to pay a subsequent fine.

The loss of the seven points accumulated in those three games has seen Diss drop into the lower echelons of the First Division table, but manager Ross Potter has confirmed the club will not be appealing the league’s decision.

“Myself and the chairman briefly spoke at Saturday’s game and the board has decided not to appeal,” he said.

“I’m fine with it. Like I’ve said before I’m looking at it positively.

“We’ve got a chance to get nine points instead of seven.”

The Tangerines were in action for the first time since the league’s ruling at the weekend when they hosted Haverhill Borough for the first time.

Borough grabbed an equaliser in the final minutes to leave Diss 16th in the table, ahead of visiting Woodbridge Town tomorrow (3pm).

After impressing on his debut for the Tangerines on Saturday, William Izod will be hoping to keep hold of the number one shirt ahead of the returning Matt Powley.