Detectives investigating the attempted abduction of a serviceman near RAF Marham last week have warned the public not to approach two men wanted in connection with the attack.
E-fits of the suspects, who are said to be of Middle Eastern origin, were issued earlier today and have been issued to police forces and military installations across the country.
And officers have also been in the area this afternoon carrying out roadside checks in order to speak to people who regularly use roads in the area about the incident last Wednesday.
Det Supt Paul Durham, of the Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation unit, who is leading the inquiry, urged anyone who sees either of the two men to contact police immediately.
He said: “I’m going to need the public’s help but I’m confident we’re going to find them.”
Asked if he believed they were a threat to the wider public, he said: “Given what they tried to do last week, I think I’d be foolish to say they’re not dangerous but, without knowing who they are, I can’t fully say how dangerous they are.
“What I would say in view of that is that the public should not be attempting to confront them in any way, shape or form. That’s what we’re here for.”
He also reiterated it was possible that at least one other person may have been in the vehicle or involved in the attack.
He said: “It’s difficult to envisage a set of circumstances where you’ve got an attempted abduction without some degree of planning.
“What the extent of that is, I really don’t know. But it is something the public could help with.
“If they’ve seen suspicious behaviour, it would help us to piece together just what it is we’re dealing with.”
Around 20 officers from the Metropolitan Police’s counter-terrorism unit have been sent to Norfolk to work on the investigation.
However, Mr Durham stressed that he was still in charge of the inquiry and admitted it is still not clear what the motive may have been for the attack.
He said: “We still can’t discount terrorism, but there is still no credible evidence that it was a terrorist incident.”
He said other possibilities may include a potential drug connection based on a mistaken identity of the victim.
As previously reported, the victim, a serviceman in his late 20s, had been out running when the incident happened.
Mr Durham revealed that the vehicle, thought to be a dark coloured people carrier, was already there when the victim turned into Squires Hill shortly before the attack took place.
The first suspect, who is said to have shouted at the victim and tried to grab him, is described as between 20 and 30 years old, approximately 6ft tall, of athletic but stocky build, with dark hair which was long on top and with a well-groomed beard. He had a dark skin tone and wore dark casual clothing.
Earlier this week, police revealed they believed he may have suffered facial injuries after being headbutted and punched by the serviceman as he defended himself.
The second man is said to be between 20-30 years old but younger than the first suspect and of a slimmer build. He was approximately 5’10” tall, clean shaven with short dark hair. He was wearing wore a white t-shirt and dark shorts.
Mr Durham said there had been several sightings of vehicles which may be connected to the attack in the vicinity of the base.
But he added he had “no idea” where the pair may be now.
Additional patrols have also been carried out in the area around the base since the incident took place.
Mr Durham said they would continue for as long as they were required.