A Norwich man has been banned from keeping horses for 10 years after three “severely emaciated” mares were found in a field in Diss.
Owner Gordon Perkis was sentenced at Ipswich Magistrates’ Court last week. He was handed a 12-week jail sentence, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to pay costs of £2,080 after pleading guilty to three neglect charges.
One of the horses called Fanny died less than a week after being rescued, despite emergency treatment. The other two were recovered and are now being cared for by the Redwings Horse Sanctuary , based in Hapton.
Welfare veterinary surgeon Nicola Berryman, who discovered the ponies, said: “I am pleased justice for these three poor mares has been served.
“Their owner’s punishment does not bring Fanny back, but she did not die in vain and I hope other owners take note of the severity of this situation and the importance of their responsibility to their horses.”
The mares were discovered on January 29 this year by Redwings’ senior field officer Julie Harding, Ms Berryman and RSPCA inspector Nicky Thorne.
Very sadly, Fanny was in such a state of neglect that we had no choice but to put her to sleepWelfare veterinary surgeon Nicola Berryman
The ponies were immediately seized and given emergency veterinary treatment.
Piebold cob Fanny’s condition deteriorated rapidly as a result of severe worm damage to her digestive system, and had to be put to sleep.
Ms Berryman said: “Very sadly, Fanny was in such a state of neglect that we had no choice but to put her to sleep.
“Although she had received some treatment for worms it was not appropriately prescribed or administered. A lack of pasture rotation also contributed to the problem.
“Sadly we have seen several cases recently of young horses succumbing to redworm infestation due to inadequate parasite control and we’d always recommend getting a vet’s advice on your horse’s worm prevention regime.”
The other ponies, cob Baby, 20, and skewbald cob Cookie, four, survived, and have “visibly improved, said Ms Berryman.
“Both are displaying signs of liver damage as a result of ragwort poisoning, but our team are doing all they can to keep them happy and healthy for as long as we can,” Ms Berryman added.