REVIEW: Propellor - Norwich Theatre Royal Tamed by a talented cast
Acclaimed Shakespearean all-male company Propeller officially launched its 2013 tour at Norwich Theatre Royal last week with The Taming of the Shrew.
Combining this with another of the Bard’s comedies, Twelfth Night, and staying true to the original text, it was a faultlessy delivered and edgy interpretation of a tale which is difficult to watch from a modern perspective.
The brutal treatment of a feisty young woman by her new husband was so compellingly acted by Dan Wheeler as Catherine and Vince Leigh as her husband Petruchio, that I found myself wincing and quite forgot Catherine was being acted by a man. Arthur Wilson was also coquetish and sweet as Bianca.
Despite the cruelty, there were laughs too and what radiates off the stage with this company is their clear love and enjoyment of their craft and how tight they are as an ensemble with talent flowing out. If you’ve not been enthused by Shakespeare before, this really is the company to do it.
- Attempted theft of phone cabling in north Suffolk
- William Hill gets the go-ahead to open new betting office in Diss
- Temperature forecast to drop combined with strong winds over the course of the week in the Diss Express area
- Obituary: Former Eye Primary School headteacher John Harvey
- Local inn scoops ‘excellence’ award
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 13 C to 24 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: East