Police issue Mid Suffolk crime warning
Mid Suffolk residents and farmers are being urged by Suffolk Police to step up security and be vigilant after reports of a number of burglaries in January 2013.
In particular, the burglaries have occured within the Debenham, Eye, Stonham Aspal, Palgrave, Stradbroke and Worlingworth areas.
Of these crimes, 17 have occurred during the daylight hours.
The force has offered tips for those people who leave their homes unoccupied during the day:
· Always lock doors and windows when you leave the house, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
· Remove tools/objects from within your garden that could be used by an offender to break in with.
· Use lights and, especially during the day, radios on timers.
· Never assume that your garage will be safe while unlocked, even if you’re at home.
· Insert a ground anchor that can be positioned by the front of the garage to stop it being opened.
· If your entrance does not have shared access install gates and lock them when no one is at home.
· Store all important valuables out of sight, and, if possible, in a hidden wall or floor-safe.
· If your children are of a suitable age and are going to be home alone, be sure that they know never to open the door to a stranger.
· Keep hedging/fencing around front perimeters no more than one-metre high, so that anyone entering your property can be seen by passers-by.
A spokesman for Suffolk Police added: “Finally we are asking for residents to help to be our eyes and ears in the community.
!If you see something suspicious, or out of the ordinary then please report it and whenever possible report it straight away.
“Please do not leave it to someone else - we would sooner have a number of calls on the same suspicious person, than none at all.”
- BREAKING: Young motorcyclist from Eye who died in Fressingfield road crash yesterday is named
- Man, 25, from Eye dies after motorcycle collision in north Suffolk
- Man assaulted in hotel car park in Diss
- Is something sinister behind the missing Diss Mere Street chickens?
- Laptop and bank documents stolen during Diss burglary
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 4 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 21 mph
Wind direction: South
Temperature: 6 C to 14 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North