Harleston couple celebrate 60 years as man and wife
A couple from Harleston who met in a public house more than 60 years ago have celebrated their diamond wedding.
Len and Amy Whittle, 86 and 81, were married in Syleham church on November 15, 1952 - a cold and frosty but happy day.
The pair, who met while out with their friends at the old Malt and Hops pub in Eye, were both raised locally, Mr Whittle in Debenham and Mrs Wittle in Wingfield.
They spent two years courting before they were married, enjoying trips to the cinema in Harleston and bike rides around the villages.
Mr Whittle worked for 35 years as a civil engineer and Mrs Whittle worked as a housekepper before the birth of their first child. They have two daughters, three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
The couple lived in Syleham for 35 years before moving to Harleston 25 years ago to be closer to the town’s facilities.
They will be celebrating their anniversary on Sunday with their family at Dunston Hall near Norwich - a place they have often driven past but never been to.
When asked what the secret to their long and happy marriage was, they both agreed it was give and take, with Mr Whittle adding: “We’ve had our ups and downs like everyone but we always come round.”
- Traffic queues in Diss after van is impaled on barrier
- Cameron hopes to become new King of Carrow Road
- Young south Norfolk woman jailed for Centre Parcs theft she allowed colleagues to be under suspicion for
- Child taken to hospital following collision with car in Diss
- Tributes flood in as north Suffolk village loses its second community champion in the space of a few months
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Saturday 18 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North east