Bellringing taster day aims to keep ancient tradition alive
A bellringing taster day will be held at two south Norfolk churches next month in a bid to recruit ringers from across the county to maintain the ancient tradition.
The southern branch of the Norwich Diocesan Association of Ringers will be holding the taster day at Bunwell Church Tower on March 16 at 2pm, followed by another session at Carleton Rode Church the same afternoon.
David Hillier, chairman of the branch, said the main reasons why people engage in ringing are as a call to worship, heritage and community involvement.
The taster day will give people the chance to visit a belfry and see the mechanics in action, watch a demonstration in the ringing room, listen to basic instructions and then have a go at bellrigning.
For further information about the taster day call Mr Hillier on 01379 740158 or ringing master Mike Hodgkinson on 01379 740042.
- BREAKING: Young motorcyclist from Eye who died in Fressingfield road crash yesterday is named
- Man, 25, from Eye dies after motorcycle collision in north Suffolk
- Man assaulted in hotel car park in Diss
- Is something sinister behind the missing Diss Mere Street chickens?
- Laptop and bank documents stolen during Diss burglary
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 8 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: South west