Harleston’s multi use games area (MUGA) which was closed after vandalism could be open again by the summer holidays.
Redenhall with Harleston Town Council paid £80,000 up front for the facility, on the Recreation Ground off Wilderness Lane, in 2013. It had to be closed off to the public last month after a number of glass bottles were thrown into it, leaving shards of glass all over its surface.
Town council chairman Barry Woods said a cleaning regime had been agreed with the manufacturer of the MUGA to ensure it would be safe for public use once again.
He added that one of the shelters close to the MUGA had to be “stripped back” to its “bare bones” after a number of related problems, with the sides, seats and roof removed, also ruling that out of use.
But the town council’s Recreation Committee decided last Wednesday that the seats would be reinstalled, and another shelter repaired, as well as approve the cleaning of the MUGA.
“This reinstatement depends on the young people behaving in a suitably reasonable fashion. If they do, then the next thing back will be the roof,” said Mr Woods.
It is the council’s wish to provide as many amenities as possible for all users of the Recreation Ground, and our staff work very hard to achieve thisBarry Woods
“However, if the current level of criminal damage, litter and bad language continues, the shelter may have to be removed altogether to protect the other users of the Recreation Ground.
“It is the council’s wish to provide as many amenities as possible for all users of the Recreation Ground, and our staff work very hard to achieve this.
“We hope that the young people appreciate this and can work with us to maintain these amenities, which are there for everyone.
“However our actions are driven, to a degree, by what happens in the Recreation Ground and the requirement that we should provide a safe environment for all.”
n What do you think? Email firstname.lastname@example.org