A Diss man who was not aware he was disqualified from driving has been banned from the roads for another six months after police found him behind the wheel in Wortham.
Prosecutor Stephen Colman told Bury Magistrates’ Court on Monday that Harry Betts, of St Nicholas Street, was seen driving away from The Dolphin Inn, Wortham, on the A143 Bury Road on October 4 in a Peugeot van.
He was subsequently stopped by police.
“Mr Betts had got out of the driver’s side of the van and started to run off but he was followed to a nearby field where officers caught up with him,” said Mr Colman.
Betts, 21, a self-employed carpenter, reportedly said “just handcuff me” to officers when they approached him for the second time.
In mitigation Malcolm Plummer said Betts had thought he had been stopped by police because of an altercation in the Dolphin Inn earlier that evening.
Betts had received six penalty points on his licence for failing to provide driver information in March of this year, and received a further six in July for driving with no insurance, the court heard, taking his total to 12 and resulting in a disqualification for six months.
Betts did not receive correspondence of the penalty points awarded, sent to his parent’s address, as it was during a time he was homeless and “sofa-surfing” and described as “off the radar” , although Mr Plummer said he accepted more could have been done to follow up and find out.
Betts admitted to driving whilst disqualified and driving without third party insurance.
He was awarded a 12-month community order to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work, and ordered to pay costs of £295.