Demolition plan for King’s Head pub in Pulham St Mary rejected

Kings Head Pulham St Mary ANL-150826-163348009
Kings Head Pulham St Mary ANL-150826-163348009
  • Plan to demolish pub for homes turned down by South Norfolk Council
  • Decision notice said scheme presented “a number of concerns” Petition to ask council to consider compulsory purchase order gains 550 signatures

A Pulham St Mary pub will not be demolished to make way for homes after a planning application was refused by South Norfolk Council.

Graham Scott, who failed three years ago to get permission to build six new homes, had lodged an application to demolish the now-closed King’s Head at Pulham St Mary, a 16th Century Grade II listed public house which closed in 2007, and build six apartments and 12 homes.

District councillor Clayton Hudson (left) and South Norfolk MP Richard Bacon (third left) outside the King's Head in Pulham St Mary. ANL-150916-172201001

District councillor Clayton Hudson (left) and South Norfolk MP Richard Bacon (third left) outside the King's Head in Pulham St Mary. ANL-150916-172201001

But the plan was thrown out by South Norfolk Council at the end of last week.

District councillor Clayton Hudson, who opposed the scheme, told the Diss Express: “With the weight of the responses and local objections and objections from statutory bodies, I think the decision was no more than fair.

“Wanting to knock down a Grade II listed building, I think that was a step too far.”

The refusal notice said the scheme presented “a number of concerns”, including the demolition of a listed building, and harm to the setting of adjacent listed buildings and the Conservation Area.

Wanting to knock down a Grade II listed building, I think that was a step too far

Clayton Hudson

It added the development would be “out of character” with the existing area, while it was also felt the applicant had not submitted enough information to demonstrate the building could not be brought back into use as a public house.

A petition, launched in September following a public meeting with 550 signatures, was presented to the chairman of South Norfolk Council, David Bills, following the decision.

It asks South Norfolk Council to consider compulsorily purchasing the building, with an agreement between the council and residents of Pulham St Mary. The petition is set to be debated by full council on Monday, December 14.

Mr Hudson, who described the response to the petition as “fantastic”, added next on the agenda was to find out how much the property was worth, and how much might be needed to be spent to complete a “phase of renovations” before bringing it back to use as a pub.

The pub demolition plan, submitted in July, had opposition from MP for South Norfolk, Richard Bacon, Pulham St Mary Parish Council, the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and the Ancient Monument Society.