Calendar Girls: Archbishop Sancroft High School
More men than usual came to see this show at the prospect of mature pulchritude in the buff.
The Women’s Institute who stripped for charity have passed into legend. I have spoken at many WIs but they have seldom got their kit off.
The play, presented by the Harleston Players, is an extended spoof WI sketch, all tastefully done. Even lying in the aisle with binoculars, you can only see so much. The climactic togs-shedding, with applause for the cleverness of each month’s shot, ends the first half. The play has little more to say after that.
But the characters, humour and pathos are expertly drawn by a cockle-warming cast, directed by Sara Curtis, who made sure we will never think of the WI in the same way again. BASIL ABBOTT
- Attempted theft of phone cabling in north Suffolk
- William Hill gets the go-ahead to open new betting office in Diss
- Local inn scoops ‘excellence’ award
- Temperature forecast to drop combined with strong winds over the course of the week in the Diss Express area
- Lots to see and do on bank holiday Monday
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Diss
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 13 C to 25 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North east